Funding competition: Biomedical Catalyst 2017 (round 1)
The Biomedical Catalyst supports innovative solutions to healthcare challenges. Through this funding opportunity, UK businesses can apply for a share of up to £10 million to develop innovative ideas that will help solve healthcare challenges. An SME must lead the project, and the project must be carried out in the UK.
- Funding bodies: Innovate UK / Medical Research Council / The Scottish Government
- Part of: Innovation grants for business: apply for funding, Research and innovation in health and social care and Business enterprise
- Registration deadline: Midday on 22 March 2017
- Application deadline: Midday on 29 March 2017
- Briefing webinar: 6 February 2017 (Register for the webinar)
- Further information and documentation
The competition aims to develop innovative healthcare technologies and processes that will help provide:
- Disease prevention and proactive management of health and chronic conditions
- Earlier and better detection and diagnosis of disease, leading to better patient outcomes
- Tailored treatments that either change the underlying disease or offer potential cures
This competition has 2 awards:
- Feasibility studies award – this will explore and evaluate the commercial potential of innovative scientific ideas. Total project costs can be up to £200,000, with projects lasting between 3 months and 1 year. Projects must start by 1 August 2017 and end by 1 August 2018.
- Primer award – this is to conduct a technical evaluation of your idea through to proof of concept in a model system. Total projects costs should range from £200,000 to £1.5 million, with projects lasting up to two years. Projects must start by 1 August 2017 and end by 1 August 2019.